Therapy for transformative change
My approach to counselling is informed by the core humanistic therapies (person-centred, gestalt, and transactional analysis), together with existential therapy, narrative therapy, systemic therapy, and Buddhist psychology.
Guided by these therapeutic approaches, my counselling practice focuses on three key areas:
- our sense of self and experience of everyday life
- the quality of our relationships with other people, and
- our sense of place in the world
… because our difficulties are typically rooted in any or all of these areas.
Our focus may shift from the past to the present, from significant life events to longstanding issues, and between difficult emotions, unhelpful beliefs, and troublesome behaviours. And at the heart of everything is you and your experience of living. After all, it’s only by understanding yourself and your situation that you can take action to change your world.
What to expect of counselling
In your first session, we’ll talk about what’s going on for you and what you hope to gain from counselling. When it comes to what you want and what you need – no-one knows better than you. That’s why you’re at the heart of what we do. Rather than telling you what you should do, what you should think, or how you should act, my approach to counselling aims to help you find a way forward that makes sense and is meaningful for you. You set the pace and I’ll be right alongside you, wherever the work leads us.
Counselling tends to unfold through three stages:
We begin by creating a space that is safe and nurturing; after all, you’ll be sharing some of your most intimate and private experiences with a relative stranger, and we need to ensure you feel safe and secure.
We gently explore your life and the world you live in and come to understand the issues and factors that shape and influence your everyday life. This is a time of healing.
3. Creative Reconstruction
We evaluate new ways of living that will enable you to live with greater awareness, self-confidence, freedom, fulfilment and purpose.
What you can expect of me
As your counsellor, I’ll:
- accept you, just the way you are
- do my best to understand you, and help you understand yourself better too
- be straight with you, every step of the way
- nurture you when you need to be nurtured
- challenge you when you need to be challenged
- keep you safe and secure throughout the therapeutic process
Through the work, I’ll help you:
- foster greater clarity, self-awareness, and understanding
- develop a secure and positive sense of self
- encourage a deep sense of self-confidence and self-acceptance
- restore balance and ease emotional pain
- improve the quality of your relationships
- renew your sense of place in the world
- explore activities and pursuits that bring meaning to your life, and
- help you enhance your personal agency,
… so you can live the kind of life you want to live.
You can find out more about the ideas that inform my work by visiting theQUESTION.
If you like the sound of my approach to counselling and you want to get things started, you can either:
- Call me on 07565 353389 for an informal conversation about how we can work together
- Complete the contact form
- Simply email me and I can get us booked in for your first appointment.
I’ll look forward to hearing from you.